Bibliography ORDO SOCIALISFor German titles see Bibliography (German)
This bibliography is based on about 182 titles, which Prof. Peschke has compiled until 2006 and made available to ORDO SOCIALIS as a basis for its own bibliographic collection.
List of contents
Christian social doctrine in general
Moral order of economy
Development ethics and responsibility for the world’s poor
Christian social doctrine in general
- Design for a just society, updated by the Daughters of Saint Paul. Pasay City, Philippines: Daughters of St. Paul, 1990, 2nd printing.
- Christians in the face of injustice. A Latin American reading of Catholic social teaching. Maryknoll: Orbis Books, 1987.
- Modern Catholic social documents and political economy. Washington: Georgetown University, 2001.
BILGRIEN, Marie Vianney:
- Solidarity. American University Studies, NY: Lang, 1999.
- The pluralist game. Pluralism, liberalism and the moral conscience. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 1995.
- The social doctrine of the Church revisited. Vatican Polyglot Press, 1990.
CHAMBERS, Robert R:
- Political theory and social ethics. Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books, 1992.
CLARKE, Thomas E., ed.:
- Above every name: The lordship of Christ and social systems. New York/Ramsey: Paulist, 1980.
- with DROSTON Maclaren. The social teaching of Vatican II. Its origin and development. Oxford: Plater Publ./San Francisco: Ignatius, 1982.
- Christian social witness and teaching, 2 vols. Leominster, UK: Gracewing, 1998.
- One hundred years of Catholic social thought. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1991.
CURRAN, Charles E:
- Catholic social teaching, 1891 – present. A historical, theological, and ethical analysis. Washington: Georgetown University, 2002.
- and McCORMICK, Richard A., eds. Readings in moral theology No. 5: Official Catholic social teachings. New York: Paulist Press, 1986.
DE SANTA ANA, Julio:
- Towards a Church of the poor: The work of an ecumenical group on the Church and the poor. Maryknoll: Orbis Books, 1981.
- Option for the poor. A hundred years of Vatican social teaching. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, 1992, rev. edition.
- The social justice agenda. Justice, ecology, power and the Church. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, 1991.
- Ethics and community. Maryknoll: Orbis Books, 1988.
- The cutting edge. How churches speak on social issues. Geneva: WCC Publications; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993.
GARRETT, William R., ed.:
- Social consequences of religious belief. New York: Paragon House, 1989.
- Social ethics. Doctrine and life. Manila: UST Press, 1991.
GREEN, Robert W., ed.:
- Protestantism, capitalism, and social science: The Weber thesis controversy. Lexington: D. D. Heath, 1973, second edition.
- Liberal utilitarianism and applied ethics. London/New York: Routledge, 1994.
HIMES, Kenneth R., ed.:
- Modern Catholic social teaching: Commentaries and interpretations. Washington: Georgetown University, 2005.
HOBGOOD, Mary E.:
- Catholic social teaching and economic theory paradigms in conflict. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University, 1991.
HÖFFNER, Joseph Cardinal:
- Christian social teaching. Köln: Ordo Socialis, 2 1997.
- and HENRIOT, Peter. Social analysis. Linking faith and justice. Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis, 1983, rev. ed.
- Justice, peace, and human rights. American Catholic social ethics in a pluralistic world. New York: Crossroad, 1988.
- Doing faithjustice. An introduction to Catholic social thought. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist, 1991.
KIRKPATRICK Frank G.:
- The ethics of community. Oxford: Blackwell, 2001.
LANE, Dermot A.:
- Foundations for a social theology. Praxis, process and salvation. New York: Paulist, 1984.
LOBO, G.V.: Church and social justice. Anand: Gujarat Sahitya Prakash, 1993.
LONGENECKER, R N.:
- New Testament social ethics for today. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1984.
- Marxism and Christian utopianism. Toward a socialist political theology. New York: Monthly Review Press, 1991.
- The signs of the times and the social doctrine of the Church. Manila: Our Lady of Guadalupe, 1992.
- Social ethics and the Christian. Manchester: University Press, 1979.
- The gracing of society. Dublin: Gill & Macmillan, 1989.
- “Episcopal conferences worldwide on Catholic social teaching,” Theol. Studies 59 (1998) 22-50.
- Social ethics. St. Louis/London: B. Herder Book Co., 1965.
- Principles of social justice. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University, 1999.
MUELLER, Franz Hermann:
- The Church and the social question. Washington: American Enterprise Institute, 1984.
- Freedom with justice. Catholic social thought and liberal institutions. New York: Harper and Row, 1984.
O’BRIEN, David J.:
- and SHANNON, Thomas A., eds. Catholic social thought. The documentary heritage. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1992.
- et al., eds. The Blackwell dictionary of twentieth-century social thought. Oxford/Cambridge, MA: Basil Blackwell, 1993.
PILARCZYK, Daniel E. (Archbishop):
- Bringing forth justice. Basis for just Christians. Cincinnati, OH: St. Anthony Messenger, 1999.
PONT. COUNCIL FOR JUSTICE AND PEACE, ed.:
- Compendium of the social doctrine of the Church, ed. by the Pontif. Council for Justice and Peace. Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2004.
PRESTON, Ronald H.:
- Confusions in Christian social ethics. Problems for Geneva and Rome. London: SCM Press, 1994.
- Proclaiming justice and peace. Church documents from John XXIII to John Paul II, ed. by M. Walsh and B. Davies. London: Harper Collins, 1991 (includes Rerum Novarum and Quadragesimo Anno).
- and GARRETT, W., eds. Religion and global order. New York: Paragon Press, 1991.
- An Introduction to Catholic social teaching. San Francisco: Ignatius, 1999.
ROSENBLUM, Nanca L., ed.:
- Liberalism and the moral life. Cambridge, MA/London: Harvard University, 1991.
SANKS, T. Howland:
- “Globalization and the Church’s social mission,” Theol. Studies 60 (1999) 625-651.
- Christianity and liberal society. New York: Oxford University, 1997.
- Social reality and the early Christians. Theology, ethics and the world of the New Testament. Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark, 1992.
- The social teaching of the Christian churches. Louisville, KY: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1992.
WALSH, James Joseph:
- Integral justice. Changing people. Changing structures. New York: Orbis, 1990.
VALLELY, Paul, ed.:
- The new politics. Catholic social teaching for the twenty-first century. London: SCM, 1998.
Moral order of economy
- and NAUGHTON, Michael. Managing as if faith matters. Christian social principles in the modern organization. University of Notre Dame, 2002.
ARGANDONA, A., ed.:
- The ethical dimension of financial institutions and markets. Berlin: Springer, 1995.
- Christianity and the market. Christian social thought for our times. London: SPCK, 1992.
- Economic compulsion and Christian ethics. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University, 2005.
- The ethic of democratic capitalism. A moral reassessment. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1981.
- Corporate ethics. Research Report No. 900. New York: The Conference Board, 1987.
- The U.S. Bishops and their critics. An economic and ethical perspective. Vancouver, BC: Fraser, 1986.
- The rich, the poor – and the Bible. Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1979.
BRUBAKER, Pamela K.:
- Globalization at what price?. Economic change and daily life. Cleveland: Pilgrim, 2001.
- and RIDD, Mark. End of economics? Ethics and the disorder of progress. London: Zed Books, 1993.
BURKE, T. Patrick:
- No harm. Ethical principles for a free market. New York: Paragon House, 1994.
- Ethics in the financial marketplace. New York: Scudder, Stevens & Clark, 1988.
and MALLINSON, Tatiana; OAKESHOTT, Robert. The Christian response to industrial capitalism. London: Sheed & Ward, 1986.
- Profit over people. Neoliberalism and global order. New York: Seven Stories Press, 1999.
COLEMAN, John A.:
- and RYAN, William F., eds. Globalization and Catholic social thought: Present crisis. Ottawa: Novalis, 2005.
CORT, John C.:
- Christian socialism. An informal history. Maryknoll: Orbis Books, 1988.
CRAWFORD, John R.:
- A Christian and his money. Montreal: Medeor, 21988.
DANNER, Peter L.:
- Getting and spending. A primer in economic morality. Kansas City: Sheed & Ward, 1994.
DE VRIES, Barend A.:
- Champions of the poor. The economic consequences of Judeo-Christian values. Washington: Georgetown University, 1998.
- The moral dimension. Towards a new economics. New York, 1990.
- Religion and humane global governance. New York: Palgrave, 2001 (world religions and reform of economic globalization).
FINNERTY, Adam Daniel:
- World citizen. Action for global justice. Maryknoll: Orbis Books, 1982.
FLEEURIOT, G. de:
- Church and human relations in industry. Bangalore: TPI, 1981.
GANNON, Thomas M., ed.:
- The Challenge to the American economy. Reflections on the U.S. Bishops’ Pastoral Letter. London: Collier Macmillan, 1986.
GAY, Craig M.:
- With liberty and justice for whom? The recent Evangelical debate over capitalism. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1991.
“Globalization and its victims.” Concilium 2001/5.
GORRINGE, Timothy J.:
- Capital and the kingdom. Theological ethics and economic order. London: SPCK, 1994.
GREELEY, Andrew M.:
- No bigger than necessary: An alternative to socialism, capitalism and anarchism. New York: American Library, 1977.
- Morality and market place. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1982.
- The creation of wealth: A Christian’s case for capitalism. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1984.
GROUP OF OF LISSABON:
- Limits of competition, ed. by the Group of Lisbon. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1995.
- Earthly goods. The Churches and the betterment of human existence. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1990.
- Is There a Gospel for the rich? London: Mowbray, 1992.
- What American Christians think about economic justice. Oxford: Oxford University, 1992.
HASSLETT, David W.:
- Ethics and economic systems. Cambridge: Clarendon Press, 1994.
HAUGHEY, John C.:
- The holy use of money. Personal finances in the light of Christian faith. New York: Crossroad, 1989.
- Anti-libertarianism. Markets, philosophy and myth. London/New York: Routledge, 1994.
HERMAN, Stewart W.:
- Durable goods. A covenantal ethic for management and employees. University of Notre Dame, 1997.
HINKELAMMERT, Franz J.:
- The Ideological weapons of death. A theological critique of capitalism. New York: Orbis, 1986.
HÖFFNER, Joseph Cardinal:
- Economic systems and economic ethics. Guidelines in Catholic social teaching. Ordo Socialis No. 1, Köln, 31988.
HOPPE, Hans Hermann:
- Economics and ethics of private property. Studies in political economy and philosophy. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publ., 1993.
HOPPER, David H.:
- Technology, theology and idea of progress. Louisville, KY: Westminster/John Knox, 1991.
- Communitarian ethics and economics. Aldershot, Hampshire: Avebury, 1995.
- Corporate ethics: A prime business asset. New York: The Business Roundtable, 1988.
McCARTHY, George E.:
- and RHODES, Royal W. Eclipse of justice. Ethics, economics and the lost tradition of American Catholicism. Maryknoll: Orbis, 1992.
- and SAYERS, Sean, eds. Socialism and morality. London: Macmillan, 1990.
MEEKS, M. Douglas:
- God the economist. The doctrine of God and political economy. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1989.
MERKLE, Judith A.:
- From the heart of the Church: The Catholic social teaching. Collegeville: Liturgical, 2004.
MICHELMAN, Irving, S.:
- Moral limitations of capitalism. Aldershot, Hampshire: Avebury, 1994.
NEUHAUS, Richard John:
- Doing well & doing good. The challenge to the Christian capitalist. New York/London: Doubleday, 1992.
- An introduction to Christian economics. Nutley, N. J.: Craig Press, 1973.
- The Spirit of democratic capitalism. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1982.
- The Catholic ethic and the spirit of capitalism. New York: The Free Press, 1993.
“Outside the market no salvation?” Concilium 1997/2.
- and SENIOR, Donald. Economic justice. CTU’s pastoral commentary on the Bishop’s Letter on the economy. Washington: The Pastoral Press, 1988.
PEMBERTON, Prentiss L.:
- and FINN, Daniel Rush. Toward a Christian economic ethics. Oak Grove: Winston Press, 1985.
PESCHKE, Karl H:
- Social economy in the light of Christian faith. Ordo Socialis No. 7. Trier: Paulinus Verlag, 31994.
PIDERIT, John J.:
- The ethical foundations of economics. Washington: Georgetown University, 1993.
PRESTON, Ronald H.:
- Religion and the ambiguities of capitalism. Have Christians sufficient understanding of modern economic realities? London: SCM, 1991.
PRINDL, Andreas R.:
- and PRODHAN, Bimal. Act guide to ethics in finance. Oxford/Cambridge, MA: Basil Blackwell, 1994.
- Economic anxiety and Christian faith. Minneapolis: Augsburg Publ. House, 1981.
- Private property. Its importance for personal freedom and social order. Ordo socialis No. 3. Köln, n. d.; German original 1982.
ROOS, Lothar, ed.:
- Church and Economy in Dialogue. A Symposium in Rome. Ordo socialis No. 2. Köln, 31990.
ROTSCHILD, Kurt Wilhelm:
- Ethics and economic theory. Ideals, models and dilemmas. Aldershot, Hants: Edward Elgar, 1993.
SANDEL, Michael J.:
- Liberalism and the limits of justice. Cambridge University Press, 1982.
- The enterprise culture. A challenging new theology of wealth creation for the 1990s. London: SPCK 1992.
- The market economy and Christian ethics. Cambridge (UK): Cambridge University, 1999.
SCHULTZ, Walter J.:
- The moral conditions of economic efficiency. New York: Cambridge University, 2001.
- On ethics and economics. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1987.
SIDER, Ronald J.:
- Rich Christian in an age of hunger. Dallas, TX: Word Books 1990.
- Socially responsible investment. A global revolution. New York: John Wiley, 2002.
STEVENSON, W. Taylor.
- Soul and money. A theology of wealth. New York: The Episcopal Church Center, 1991.
UNITED STATES CATHOLIC CONFERENCE:
- Economic justice for all. Pastoral Letter on Catholic social teaching and the U.S. economy. Washington: United States Catholic Conference, 1986.
UREÑA, Enrique M.:
- Capitalism or socialism. An economic critique for Christians. Chicago: Franciscan Herald, 1981.
- Economics and ethics. An introduction to theory, institutions, and policy. Westport, CT: Praeger, 1997.
WOGAMAN, J. Philip:
- Economics and ethics. A Christian enquiry. London: SCM, 1986.
BEAUCHAMP, Tom L.:
- and BOURE, Norman E., eds. Ethical theory and business. New York: Prentice Hall, 1993.
- Christian business ethics. Doing good while doing well. Chicago: Fides/Claretian, 1981.
BOATRIGHT, John R..
- Ethics and the conduct of business. New York: Prentice Hall, 1993.
- Ethical issues in business. New York: Harcourt Brace College, 1995.
CHILDS, James M. Jr..
- Ethics in Business. Faith at work. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1995.
CHRYSSIDES, George D.:
- and KALER, John H. An introduction to business ethics. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold International, 1993.
- The ethics of international business. New York/Oxford: Oxford University, 1992.
- ed. Case studies in business ethics. New York: Prentice Hall, 1993.
EDWARDS, James Don:
- and Hermanson, Roger H. Essentials of financial accounting with ethics cases. Homewood, IL: Business One Irwin, 1993.
FREEMAN, R. Edward, ed.:
- Business ethics. The state of the art. New York: Oxford University, 1993.
GEORGE, Richard T.:
- Competing with integrity in international business. New York: Oxford University, 1993.
- What’s right and wrong in business? A primer in business ethics. Manila: Sinag-tala, 1990.
HARTLEY, Robert F..
- Business ethics. Violations of the public trust. New York/Chichester: John Wiley and Sons, 1993.
- The ethics of management. Boston, MA: Irwin, 1991.
JENNINGS, Marianne Moody:
- Cases in business ethics. Saint Paul, MN: West Publ. Co., 1993.
LACZNIAK, Gene R.:
- and MURPHY, Patrick. Ethical marketing decisions. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon, 1993.
- Teaching business ethics in the UK, Europe and the USA. A comparative study. London/Atlantic Highlands: Athlone Press, 1990.
- The essence of business ethics. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1995.
- New traditions in business. San Francisco, CA: Berret-Koehler, 1993.
RUESCHHOFF, N., ed.:
- Christian business values in an intercultural environment. Berlin: Duncker & Humblot, 1989.
- Management: A Biblical approach. Wheaton, IL: SP Publications, 1983.
SOLOMON, Robert C.:
- Ethics and excellence. Cooperation and integrity in business. New York/Oxford: Oxford University, 1992.
- Managing with a conscience. How to improve performance through integrity, trust, and commitment. New York/London: McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- Business ethics. New York/Ramsey: Paulist 1979.
SERVITJE SENDRA, Lorenzo:
- Reflections of a Latin-American entrepreneur about enterprise. Brussels: Uniapac, 1991.
SUTTON, Brend, ed.:
- Legitimate corporation. Essential readings in business ethics and corporate government. Oxford/Cambridge, MA: Basil Blackwell, 1993.
TREVISO, Linda K.:
- and Nelson, Katherine. Business ethics. Rexdale, ON: John Wiley and Sons, 1995.
- Business ethics at work. Cambridge (UK): Cambridge University, 1998, 3rd printing.
VELASQUEZ, Manuel G.:
- Business ethics. Concepts and cases. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 21988.
- Faith and the human enterprise. A Post-Vatican vision. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1992.
WEISS, Joseph W.:
- Business ethics. A managerial stakeholder approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 1993.
WERHAHN, Peter H.:
- The entrepreneur. His economic function and social responsibility. Ordo Socialis No. 4. Trier: Paulinus, 1990.
- and HOUCK, J. A virtuous life in business. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 1992.
Development ethics and responsibility for the world’s poor
- God’s foreign policy. Practical ways to help the world’s poor. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1984.
AGBASIERE, Joseph Therese:
- and ZABAJUNGU, Boniface K., eds. Church contribution to integral development. Eldoret (Kenya): AMECEA Gaba Publ., 1989.
- Towards a theology of development: An annotated bibliography. Geneva: Committee on Society, Development and Peace (SODEPAX), 1970.
- Pyramids of sacrifice. New York: Basic Books, 1974.
- and SHAW, Donald. Theology, third world development and economic justice. Vancouver: Fraser Institute, 1985.
- Integral development. Development of the whole person. Ndola, Zambia: Mission Press, 1983.
- The ethics of development. From economism to human development. Edinburgh University Press, 2004.
- The cruel choice: A new concept in the theory of development. New York: Atheneum, 1978.
LAPPÉ, Frances Moore:
- and Collins, Joseph. World hunger. Twelve myths. New York: Grove, 1986.
LEWIS, John P.:
- Strengthening the poor: What have we learned? Washington: Overseas Development Council, 1988.
- and KALLAB, Valeriana, eds. Development strategies reconsidered. Washington: Overseas Development Council, 1988.
Mcginnis, James B.:
- Bread and justice: Toward a new international economic order. New York/Ramsey: Paulist, 1979.
- Economic planning and social justice in developing countries. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1978.
MOONEYHAM, W. Stanley:
- What do you say to a hungry world? Waco, Texas: World Books, 1975.
NELSON, Jack A.:
- Hunter for justice: The politics of food and faith. Maryknoll: Orbis Books, 1980.
PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR JUSTICE AND PEACE:
- At the service of the human community: An ethical approach to the international debt question, 1986. Enchiridion Vaticanum, vol. 10. Bologna: EDB, 1989, 770-797.
- World development and economic institutions. Vatican City, 1994.
SAUVANT, Karl P.:
- and LAVIPOUR, Farid G., eds. Controlling multinational corporations. Boulder, Colorado: Westview, 1976.
SHAW, Timothy M.:
- and Heard, KENNETH A., eds. The politics of Africa. Dependence and development. Essex: Longman & Dalhousie Univ. Press, 1982.
- Good for the poor. Christian ethics and world development. London: Mowbray, 1990.
- Bad Samaritans. First world ethics and third world debts. London: Hodden & Stoughton, 1990.
- The expectation of the poor: The Church and the third world. London: SCM, 1972.
- The angry seventies. The second development decade: A call to the Church. Rome: Pontifical Commission Justice and Peace, 1970.